The JT Dorsey Foundation is a youth development organization offering programs for youth ages 5-18 in Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York, Pennsylvania. Their programs use soccer to help address significant gaps in services and/or social problems negatively impacting children and families.
“To use the medium of soccer to provide wellness education, mentoring, leadership, employment training and a safe space for at-risk children to grow up.”
- Combat childhood obesity by providing physical activity
- Teach healthy living and nutritional decision making
- Engage minority and low-income children in local underserved communities
- Promote lifelong physical activity
- Develop self-reliance, creativity, resiliency, persistence, teamwork and decision making skills
- Provide a safe space in the volatile after-school hours
The JT Dorsey Foundation believes soccer can be a developmental tool for life.
* School-based programs – The goal of this program is to encourage students to develop and improve their social skills and academic comprehension through the game of soccer. Participants receive soccer skill instruction which compliment and enrich each student’s classroom education.
* Future Leaders program- A program designed for high school students (ages 13-19) to help them build leadership and job-readiness skills for future educational, employment and player development opportunities.
The Future Leaders Program collaborates with local school districts, Lebanon Valley College and many community partners.
Participants meet twice a week to receive two-hour soccer training and one-hour classroom sessions. There is also a community service component that is an integral part of the program.
* Skill School – Skill school sessions focus on ball mastery, speed, fitness, ACL injury prevention, passing and receiving, 1v1 competitive play, finishing and small group play. Skill School provides an environment for players to improve their technical skills and overall knowledge of the game. For more information on sessions, check out their brochure.
How to get involved:
* Become a volunteer
* Become a sponsor
* Become a partner with the JT Dorsey Foundation
* Make a tax-deductible donation.