SSUSA’s mission is soccer for social change and aims to get homeless men, women, and youth off the streets, “scoring goals on the field, and achieving their goals in life.”
Where they work:
There are 20 Street Soccer USA teams in the following cities: Seattle, Portland, Sacramento. Bay Area, Los Angeles, Denver, Minneapolis, Dallas, Fort Worth, Tulsa, St. Louis, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Louisville, Charlotte, Richmond, Montgomery County, DC Metro, New York, Boston.
What they do:
* Involvement in SSUSA helps participants improve social skills, self esteem, physical/mental health and eliminate barriers to employment, increasing the likelihood of them finding a job and permanent housing. Other services include Job Academies (where participants take workshops on resume writing, financial literacy and workplace readiness), mentoring, pro bono legal services and counseling.
* Volunteers provide coaching and mentoring to program participants and assist each player in setting 3, 6 and 12-month life goals.
* Participants play and train three times a week as well as compete in local leagues. Teams take part in the annual Street Soccer USA Cup. The Men’s & Women’s National Teams participate in the annual Homeless World Cup.
* Outcomes: 75% of the players move off the street within a year of joining the program. SSUSA’s goal is to reach 100%.
How to get involved:
* Make a tax deductible donation.