South Bronx United currently serves over 500 boys and girls, ages 4-19, and their families. Their programs promote educational achievement, health and wellness, and character development, while also training youth to develop soccer and athletic skills appropriate to their ages, abilities, and interests.
“South Bronx United uses soccer as a vehicle for social change. South Bronx United aims to help youth build character, teamwork, and leadership so that they can succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. South Bronx United strives to promote educational achievement, health and wellness, and character development through activities on and off the soccer field and to UNITE a diverse group of individuals and an incredibly diverse community toward common positive goals.”
* Soccer Program - Children and youth participate in either the Travel Soccer Program or the Recreational Soccer Program. Most children are recommended to start with the recreational program. There is also a Developmental Program for everyone involved with South Bronx United. This program emphasizes player and character development of children at all levels and includes participation in special events, clinics, and spring and summer break camps.
* Education Program - South Bronx United’s goals for this program are to help youth achieve academic success so all youth graduate high school and are well prepared to attend college. Since 60% of program participants were born outside of the United States, South Bronx United focuses a lot of effort on improving youth’s English language skills. Satisfactory academic standing is necessary in order to compete in the Travel Soccer Program.
* Character Development Program – This program helps youth build strong character, leadership, and teamwork. These qualities are developed in the travel teams through pre-season orientation, season-ending ceremonies, conflict resolution workshops, and day-to-day interactions. Activities include youth leadership trainings, conflict resolution workshops, service learning projects and career preparedness.
* Health and Wellness Program – This program encourages youth to eat healthy and maintain active lifestyles. The South Bronx was rated as having the highest obesity rate in the nation. South Bronx United has partnerships (an organic snack food partnership with Peter Rabbit Organics) and holds events to promote family health options and increase community awareness of the childhood obesity problem. South Bronx United also partners with Westchester Square Physical Therapy to assist youth in their Travel Program.
How to get involved:
* Become a Volunteer.
* Do an internship.
* Purchase a South Bronx United t-shirt.
* Make a tax-deductible donation to South Bronx United.
* Sponsor a player ($100)
* Sponsor a team ($500 minimum)
* Get involved with South Bronx United’s annual benefit.