Project GOAL (Greater Opportunity for Athletes to Learn), is a non-profit organization composed of education, business, and sports professionals who assist in the development of Rhode Island’s disadvantaged youth through soccer and after-school programming.
Project GOAL’s mission is to foster opportunities for at-risk youth through offering a nurturing after school program, academic tutoring, health/nutrition information, exercise, and safe facilities, all of which model positive and healthy lifestyles to the youth and their families.
Where they work:
Providence, Rhode Island.
Soccer is important in the lives of GOAL’s targeted groups and is what draws the students’ willing participation. Soccer is an important link to many of the youth’s cultural roots and can be seen the thousands of families who gather to watch and play every weekend in park fields off of Rte 146, India Point Park in Providence, Higginson Park in Central Falls, Lusitano Field in Pawtucket and many other parts of Rhode Island.
What they do:
* Project GOAL’s after school program is geared for 6th, 7th & 8th grade youth from Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls and takes place every Monday and Friday from 3 to 6PM.
* The 3 hours are divided into a one-and-a-half hour study period followed by soccer training from accredited coaches, many who are former professional soccer players. In addition to their own coaching staff, GOAL invites professional players to provide special clinics for the youth.
* Combines the benefits of academic achievement with the motivation and self-discipline of sports.
* Promotes educational opportunity.
* Combats the growing problems of illiteracy, school delinquency, adolescent crime and obesity.
– Learn about how you can contribute to Project GOAL here. Corporate sponsorship and volunteer opportunities are also available.