To empower students to lead healthy lives, succeed academically, and inspire positive community engagement, and to transform communities using soccer.
AC Portland works to achieve their mission by providing two highly successful national programs:
* Soccer For Success: This is the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s youth development program using soccer as a tool to combat childhood obesity and promote healthy lifestyles for children in under-resourced urban communities.
The core component’s of AC Portland’s Soccer For Success include:
– Physical Activity (90 minute sessions at least 3 days/week)
– Mentorship: (Each site is staffed by coaches mentoring the participants)
– Nutrition: (Staff teach the basics of nutrition and the importance of developing healthy eating habits)
– Family Engagement: (Family members are provided information to help reinforce the program’s teachings at home)
* America SCORES: This innovative program integrates soccer, poetry and service-learning, with an approach that improves students’ health, academic achievement and civic engagement.
Recent evaluations of the America SCORES programs have found the following:
– Statistically significant gains in writing achievement
– Increased reporting of reading enjoyment and longer time spent reading independently
– Increased levels of physical fitness
– Increased reporting of feelings of self-confidence, self-efficacy and enjoyment of learning
– Increased frequency of daytime classroom attendance during the America SCORES seasons
How to get involved:
Visit the AC Portland website for upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Make an online donation to AC Portland.