Who was Justin?:
Justin Fashanu was the first million-pound British black footballer and its first openly gay player. Justin was a superbly talented center-forward. Off the field troubles and injuries plagued Fashanu and the pressures of being an out gay man in an unforgiving society led to him taking his own life at the age of 37.
Check out this absolute wonder of a goal from Justin in this match against Liverpool on February 9th, 1980:
Mission/Philosophy (from the campaign website):
* To raise the participation of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) people in football at a grassroots level
* To foster an environment where professional football players can feel comfortable being open about their sexuality
* To engage with youth and adults through the use of sport and academia with the aim of eliminating discrimination and prejudice against LGBT people
* To work strategically with partners to influence government, policy makers and statutory services to promote healthy lifestyles and well being among LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) people
* To creatively challenge the negative stereotypes that surround LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) people
* To actively challenge by any civil means any form of prejudice and discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation
What they do:
* Educational workshops
The Justin Campaign provides opportunities for discussion about what it means to be LGBT and discuss the damaging effects of homophobia in soccer. Their workshops are both unique and innovative and help create a safe space for youth and adults to discuss homophobia. The Justin Campaign believes confronting the issue of homophobia helps relieve some of people’s questions and confusion about sexuality and gender.
* Justin Fashanu All-Stars
The Justin Fashanu All-Stars are a unique new team open to anyone, regardless of sexuality or gender identity, who want to represent the Campaign on the football pitch.
How to get involved:
Learn about how to get involved as a volunteer with The Justin Campaign. Available opportunities are posted right now on The Justin Campaign website.
Visit The Justin Campaign’s home page and click on the large blue DONATE button.